Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hard-core

Recently a strange individual began hanging around my lab, using the equipment and reagents, making demands on my time. I found out that he is unemployed and trying to figure out what to do, working for my advisor for free while deciding whether to go to graduate school. He is now commuting half an hour each way to spend long hours gathering data for someone else's grant applications in exchange for no money and no progress toward any kind of degree or certification. My advisor is as intimidating and as demanding toward him as toward anybody else. His motivation, I presume, is the thought that someone will surely notice his intelligence and hard work and it will pay off somehow.

Now that is some extra-strength Kool-Aid .

Does this happen in any other industry?

No comments:

Post a Comment